A relationship is the way in which two or more people regard and interact with each other.
Relationships are not just about boyfriends or girlfriends; you are also in relationships with friends, brothers or sisters, parents, parent’s friends, relatives or even people that you meet online. As soon as you come into contact with someone you are therefore in a relationship with them.
Remember, everybody deserves to have Healthy Relationships, both offline and online.
There are a number of signs that can help you tell if you are in a healthy relationship:
- It is important to ask if you’re unsure about something.
- Speak honestly and openly so that miscommunication is avoided.
- Never keep a feeling bottled up because you’re afraid it’s not what your boyfriend/girlfriend or friend wants to hear or because you worry about sounding silly.
- No one who you are in a relationship with should make you do something that makes you feel uncomfortable or humiliated.
- Learn to understand the difference between sincerity and manipulation.
- Trust takes time to earn and to be given.
- Always remember you have the right to say how you feel and act in a way that is true to yourself.
- No one you are in a relationship with should have power over you. It is important that power in a relationship is shared equally. There are occasions when people may have authority over you such as a parent or a teacher but they cannot abuse that authority.
- It is good to have similar interests with friends and family but it is also important to hold on to what makes you an individual. Keep up your hobbies and interests even if they are different to your friends. Be proud to have your own interests and also those which you can share.